Translate

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Off to South Africa.

After mentioning to my good friend Chris De Bruno Austin I was planning a dive trip to Madagascar, he insisted I stay with him a few days in Nelspruit South Africa. How could I turn that offer down, he does live on a game farm. He suggested I bring my wife and stay for 10 days with a 3 day visit to a private game reserve in Kruger National Park. I mentioned that another friend Greg Pickering would be joining me and when he said ok bring him along that sealed the deal. So with 6 months of secret planning and scheming behind me, my wife and I set off for Johannesburg.
We arrived early in the morning and had no problems catching our connecting flight to Nelspruit. I collected a hire car in Nelspruit and following Chris's directions made my way to his house. He was supposed to meet us at the airport but had dramas with a rhino and couldn't make it. His instructions were very clear and easy to follow and we found the entrance no problem. His security guy on the gate was expecting us and let us in no problem,  follow the cement drive for 4 km and its the last house overlooking a valley "you cant miss it".
What an understatement the valley was huge the view spectacular and we saw Kudu, Wildebeest and Impala all the way up the drive way, even on the lawn around the house!!!!

The view to the South from Chris's back veranda, Swaziland is in the distance.

Looking South West at Sunset.
Chris had said there would be someone to meet us at the house but she didn't speak English, and just to make ourselves at home, he told us where our rooms were and he would be back as soon as he could. It turned out he was away all day but he sent his father Bob to meet us and make us welcome. We lazed the afternoon away and had a bit of a sleep to get over the travel.
Chris and his son Garth arrived late in the afternoon and we all had dinner together while he explained that they were trying to settle a baby Rhino all day and move another. Chris is heavily involved in a Rhino rescue program that raises Rhinos orphaned by poaching http://www.careforwild.co.za/ and later in the week he introduced us to Petronel the woman behind the program, and what a wonderful inspiration she is.
We retired to bed later that evening feeling totally exhausted and in absolute awe of what we had seen so far and it was only our first day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment